Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Fun in the Very Very Hot Sun

Hey Guys!

Today, everyone on EIE is taking the day to relax and catch up on our work. I thought that I would take the opportunity to write another blog!

To end our 10 day trip that I mentioned in my previous post, we visited Kibbutz Lotan. A Kibbutz, according to Wikipedia, is a collective community based on agriculture. Lotan is based in the Negev (desert) right across from Kibbutz Yahel, where my parents happened to meet. So that was sort of awesome.

Anyway, a major aspect of Kibbutz Lotan is their focus on the environment. They are a huge center for ecotourism, and, as well, have started up the Center for Creative Ecology. Part of this center is Green Apprenticeships that have they throughout the year. Their programs last anywhere from 4-7 weeks. However, many people come to live at Lotan just to learn and understand how to sustain the environment in the desert.

This is definitely not an ad for Kibbutz Lotan, but I wanted to share, what I think, is something really amazing. Everything on the Kibbutz is incredibly sustainable. I believe that most, if not all, of their energy is solar powered. All of their buildings and houses are made out of clay, straw, cement, and a few other natural materials that insulate the rooms. Everyone who stays for the Green Apprenticeship makes their own huts.

However, my favorite part of the Kibbutz was it's playground. Anyone who knows me knows that I coulk still spend hours at a playground. Theirs was special, though. Instead of creating more waste, they reuse materials such as old tired to create new things. Their entire playground, pictured below, is made out of old tires, clay, mud, and straw. Not only was it a waste-eliminating playground, but it was fun and colorful!

I'm aware that playgrounds in America need to be safe and have special flooring but I think that we could all definitely take something from Lotan's playground and begin recycling old materials to create a fun space. While there are places like this in the US, there could always be more.


 This last picture is a big turtle.


Until next time,
Shoshana :)

1 comment:

  1. I think that there are ways to create interesting and sustainable playgrounds within the safety regulations of the States. However, I do agree that we often are so worried about risk that we don't provide our children with exciting enough play spaces. The kids at Lotan must love this one.

    ReplyDelete